Uluru - To Climb or Not To Climb?

TO CLIMB OR NOT TO CLIMB?

When I knew your could climb Uluru, I was certain I want to climb it. After researching about this place as my next holiday destination, I have learnt a bit more about Uluru and how Aboriginal traditional law actually prohibit climbing of the rock. It was a struggle as I love climbing rocks and mountains and enjoying my view from higher grounds. However, I knew as hard as it would be when I see all these people walking up the rock, I decided I will not climb it out of respect.


Uluru is not owed by the government. The land was given back to the traditional owners with the condition to lease it back to National Parks and Wildlife agency for 99 years and that it would be jointly managed. The agreement originally made between the community and Prime Minister Bob Hawke that the climb to the top by tourists would be stopped was later broken.

It was conflicting as the climb was open, but there were signs everywhere to tell you not to climb. I sat on one of the bench's watching all these people walked past the sign and go straight up the rock. Some wanted to go to the top, some just wanted to stand on it to take photos. I felt disappointed. It felt like, I opened my home for people to visit, and asked them not to jump on my couch, but people just walked in and went straight for my couch and jump on it as if they couldn't hear me speak. (Actually my niece did that just the other day, but she was 4 years old and we are talking about adults here)



It was also sad to see this artificial chain installed to help people to climb it. If climbing it is too dangerous, too steep, too hard, then the person probably shouldn't be climbing it. There is always the helicopter option. (Although my view from the plane was pretty good too, a bit further away from helicopter view but no extra cost)


Of course, part of me was telling myself, what harm would it be if I climb a little. Maybe to the chain, maybe half way up the chain, maybe to the top. However my belief was so much stronger when I was actually there.

I am happy they have decided to officially close the climb on 26th October 2019. There is a lot the place has to offer other than the climb. There are lots of mountains and rocks to climb elsewhere with better view.

I know everyone has their own point of view and I respect people's personal choice. This is just me sharing my thoughts and beliefs to those who are also debating among themselves..... to climb or not to climb.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings Canyon NT

Tasmania Trip Day 3 - Cradle Mountain

Cowan to Berowra via Berowra Waters