Slot Canyon - Bungonia

We were heading to the Southern Highlands for the Easter long weekend and decided to stop at Bungonia for a walk through the Slot Canyon.



It was pouring down with rain when we were driving to Bungonia. I was not very keen to do it in the rain as I heard it may be dangerous in wet conditions. The weather forecast predicted the rain will stop mid-morning, so we continued our way there, hoping the rain will ease off.

When we got to the information centre the rain stopped. The weather forecast was right after all!! The nice ranger reckoned it wouldn't be too wet today and told us to have a nice LONG walk.

4km.... long walk??? Really?? Recommended 4-5hours?? I wasn't too convinced at the time.

We paid our $8 parking fee and headed off to Bungonia Lookdown before we started our Slot Canyon Walk/ Red Track.



We did it in the clockwise way as advised by the ranger. It was a very steep descend down to the canyon. It took me a long time to do this as I am terrified of slipping and rolling down the hill. I was like cow going down the hill.

There were beautiful views on the way down....


When we were close to the bottom of the canyon we heard this rock rolling downhill. It rolled a long way and the sound was getting louder and louder. I was getting really nervous and imagining this huge rock  rolling down and chasing us downhill. Fortunately, the rock was not that big and it stopped around the corner before heading towards us. I believe even with the small rock, the force of it rolling steeply downhill can do real damage if you get hit.

Finally reaching the bottom, I was ready for my easier walk on the flat surface. At least, that was what I thought at the time.











I was a bit worried about all the rocks and boulders on the bottom. I wonder how often they fall from the cliffs and how safe I was. The rocks were not the easiest to walk on as they have very smooth surface and my shoes didn't have much grip on it.




The huge canyon made me felt really small and vulnerable. The atmosphere was indescribable.



The walk started with small rocks and walking through/around some trees that looked like they had been swept by a strong running river when the water was high.


It was dry today, but I can imagine how dangerous this place can be with heavy rain. Rocks would be very slippery to walk on, water can rise pretty quickly, and the force of running water can be very strong.

The rocks and boulders became bigger and harder to walk up, down, and around them.


While we took a lunch break on a boulder, absorbing the beauty of the place, we bumped into 2 walkers, looking for the way out. We shared our GPS and they disappeared shortly after since they were much faster climbing over these boulders.

I struggled as the boulders became even more larger and trickier. It felt like I was never going to get out of there. Lucky I had help up and down some of them.



There was no formed track at the bottom of the canyon. It is all a matter of you finding your own way through. We nearly stepped on this snake while we were wondering around looking for way out.


We came across some very magical green creeks.




Finally we came to this sign, labeled RED TRACK, to show us the way track out of the canyon. It was a steep ascend, but slightly better than the descend.



We detoured to Mount Ayre lookout before heading back to the car park.


























A very interesting walk, but definitely one for the experienced with good navigational skill. I now believe the time they recommended for this walk.

Total distance: 4.4km
Climb: 674m
Difficulty: Hard

Go to the link below for information and map for this walk.
https://www.beyondtracks.com/walks/bungonia-national-park/the-slot-canyon/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kings Canyon NT

Tasmania Trip Day 3 - Cradle Mountain

Cowan to Berowra via Berowra Waters